Our 2021 Awards cycle is now complete. We congratulate Virgil Group and Element Resources on their Neptune and WW Orcelle® Award wins respectively. Also big congratulations to our three collegiate winners Weavair, E-Wave, and Ocean Rescue Alliance. Find a press release about our latest winners here.
Please select the award(s) below to learn about all our winners.
Celebrating its tenth anniversary, Ocean Exchange was held in Fort Lauderdale, FL from October 24-26, 2021. It will feature twelve innovations with the ability to generate economic growth and increase productivity while reducing the use of nature’s resources and the production of waste and emissions. “Starting in 2011, the Ocean Exchange founders believed that amazing solutions exist to solve many of the challenges of healthy oceans but those start-ups needed funding and other help to advance to deployment and commercialization. In ten years, we’ve proven that hypothesis and have a track record looking back with solutions that are having important impact for healthy oceans, sustainable ocean shipping, and resilient coastal systems. We now start our next decade with a short list of start-ups who will compete for our two $100,000 cash awards,” stated Millicent Pitts, Executive Director of Ocean Exchange.
These finalists will compete for one of two $100,000 Awards:
- The Wallenius Wilhelmsen Orcelle® Award 2021 will be given to the solution that demonstrates the greatest combined sustainable and economic value to WW’s business. The winning solution may aide in meeting WW’s 2030 Science Based Target, reduce WW’s criteria emissions (NOx, SOx, & Particulate Matter), either on land or at sea, or contribute to any of WW’s activities as they relate to any of WW’s seven UN Sustainable Development Goals: 3, 8.9,10,13,14, and 17.
- The Neptune Award 2021 will be given to the solution that advances our understanding of the ocean and helps minimize our impact on these resources, resulting in more resilient bodies of water, including healthy marine life and coastlines
We also had 10 collegiate teams compete for three collegiate awards in 2021:
- Ocean Exchange Collegiate Award $25,000 USD: for solutions that advance the decarbonisation of the maritime shipping industry, either while underway or while in port. We seek solutions that are globally scalable, and which are applicable to any segment, including commercial ocean carriers, ferries and coastal transportation, large recreational yachts, towing and barge vessels, the cruise industry, and defense/security maritime sectors.
- Broward College Innovation Award 2021 of $10,000 USD is given to the collegiate solution that advances our understanding of the ocean and that helps minimize our impact on these resources, resulting in more resilient bodies of water including healthy marine life and coastlines.
- Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation Award 2021 of $10,000 USD is given to the collegiate solution that advances our understanding of the ocean and that helps minimize our impact on these resources, resulting in more resilient bodies of water including healthy marine life and coastlines.
Solutions Inspiring Action set themselves apart in two ways:
Feasibility and Ease of Implementation
- Resources needed to implement the solution are readily available
- The solution is cost-effective, or can be made so
- The risks are identifiable, quantifiable, manageable and are minimal compared to the benefits
Breadth of Application
- The conditions that need to be in place for the solution to be introduced are well defined
- The solution is versatile and can be applied and implemented in diverse settings across multiple industries, countries, and culture.